18 holes x 25 holes. Solder Finished Prototype PCB.
Tech Tin Files: Veroboard History
The VPE Electronics Department was formed early in 1959 when managing director Geoffrey Verdon-Roe hired two former
Saunders-Roe Ltd employees,
Peter H Winter (aircraft design department) and Terry Fitzpatrick (electronics division).
After the failure of a project to develop machine tool control equipment the department remained operative as
a result of success with the invention and development of the new electronics material - Veroboard.
The printed circuit board (PCB) had become commonplace in electronics production by the mid-1950s and new
equipment utilising PCBs was displayed at the 1959 Radio and
Electronics Components Manufacturers Federation (RECMF) Exhibition held in The Dorchester Hotel, Park Lane, London.
The usual configuration for most of the PCBs of that time had components placed in a regular pattern with the
circuit formed by maze-like conductive pathways. An interesting alternative, proposed by Fitzpatrick after visiting
the RECMF Exhibition on behalf of VPE, envisaged a standard circuit board carrying straight-line conductors
on which the components could be suitably dispersed and connected to the
conductors to produce the required circuit.
A patent application was immediately filed and the invention was developed for Vero by associates Winter,
Fitzpatrick and machine shop engineers.